The new Q70A and Q80A QLEDs, as well as the QN85A and QN90A Neo QLEDs, support FreeSync and Variable Refresh Rate.
You can follow this Seeking Tech tutorial to see how you can enable both of these features on the new Samsung television sets.
The following guide will be covering the following screen sizes:
- 55” Q70A QLED (QN55Q70AAFXZA)
- 65″ Q70A QLED (QN65Q70AAFXZA)
- 75″ Q70A QLED (QN75Q70AAFXZA)
- 85″ Q70A QLED (QN85Q70AAFXZA)
- 55″ Q80A QLED (QN55Q80AAFXZA)
- 65″ Q80A QLED (QN65Q80AAFXZA)
- 75″ Q80A QLED (QN75Q80AAFXZA)
- 85″ Q80A QLED (QN85Q80AAFXZA)
- 55″ QN85A Neo QLED (QN55QN85AAFXZA)
- 65″ QN85A Neo QLED (QN65QN85AAFXZA)
- 75″ QN85A Neo QLED (QN85QN85AAFXZA)
- 85″ QN85A Neo QLED (QN85QN85AAFXZA)
- 55″ QN90A Neo QLED (QN55QN90AAFXZA)
- 65″ QN90A Neo QLED (QN65QN90AAFXZA)
- 75″ QN90A Neo QLED (QN75QN90AAFXZA)
- 85″ QN90A Neo QLED (QN85QN90AAFXZA)
FreeSync and Variable Refresh Rate Specifications
You can find the FreeSync and Variable Refresh Rate specs for the Q70A, Q80A, QN85A and QN90A below:
- 1920 x 1080 resolution, 120 Hz display format, 135.000 KHz horizontal frequency, 120.000 Hz vertical frequency, and 297.000 MHz clock frequency and progressive scan
- 2560 x 1440 resolution, 120 Hz display format, 150.000 KHz horizontal frequency, 120.000 Hz vertical frequency, 495.000 MHz clock frequency and progressive scan
- 3840 x 2160 resolution, 120 Hz display format, 270.000 KHz horizontal frequency, 120.000 Hz vertical frequency, 1188.000 MHz clock frequency and progressive scan
- 4096 x 2160 resolution, 120 Hz display format, 270.000 KHz horizontal frequency, 120.000 Hz vertical frequency, 1188.000 MHz clock frequency and progressive scan
How to enable game mode on Q70A, Q80A, QN85A and QN90A
To enable game mode on your 2021 Samsung QLED or Neo QLED television, you need to do the following:
1. Press the Home button on your remote control.
2. Go Settings.
3. In the Quick Settings tab, select Game Mode.
4. Set Game Mode to On or Auto. The Auto option is designed for your TV to automatically switch to game mode when it detects video input from a game system. The On option will manually enable game mode.
How to open the Game Bar menu on Q70A, Q80A, QN85A and QN90A
To open the Game Bar menu on the Q70A, Q80A, QN85A or QN90A, you need to do the following:
1. Make sure that the game mode is already enabled on your television. If it is disabled, you need to do the previous tutorial to enable it.
2. If you are sure that your TV is in Game Mode, press and hold the Play/Pause button on your remote until you see the menu pop-up.
3. The menu will show off the current display stats for the television set, which includes VRR. In this case, VRR represents both FreeSync and Variable Refresh Rate.
4. VRR will automatically be enabled when your television set is in game mode and FreeSync/Variable Refresh Rate support is activated on your PC/console.
How to enable VRR on Q70A, Q80A, QN85A and QN90A
Currently, the only game systems that support Variable Refresh Rate are the Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X. However, Sony is expected to add this feature to the PlayStation 5 via a future firmware update for the system.
If you have either the Series S or Series X, you can do the following to enable VRR support:
1.From the main system menu, go to Settings.
2. Select General from the left tab and then “TV & display options” on the right side of the same screen.
3. Select Video modes.
4. Make sure the box next to the “Allow variable refresh rate” option has been checked to enable this feature.
5. Afterwards, try playing the game on your Xbox Series S or Xbox Series X. With the game opened, bring up the aforementioned Game Bar menu on your television set to see if VRR is set to On.
How to enable FreeSync on Q70A, Q80A, QN85A and QN90A
To enable FreeSync support on Q70A, Q80A, QN85A and QN90A, you need to do the following:
1. First, you need an AMD graphics card that supports FreeSync on your computer. Your computer should also be connected to your Samsung television set.
2. As we stated above, Game Mode on your TV must be enabled. Make sure to set Game Mode to On as the Auto option may not work when you are connecting a PC.
3. Open the AMD Radeon Settings program. If you don’t have the program, you can download it with the following link: https://www.amd.com/en/support.
4. In AMD Radeon Settings, select the Display option on the top tab.
5. Here, you will see the AMD FreeSync option. Make sure that this setting is set to On.
6. Afterwards, try playing the game on your PC. With the game opened, bring up the aforementioned Game Bar menu on your TV to see if VRR is set to On.
For best VRR results, it best to keep the firmware of your Samsung TV update. You can check out this guide for updating to the latest software version for your Q70A, Q80A, QN85A or QN90A.