The WH-1000XM5 features an internal battery that can be recharged. If you are having a hard time trying to charge the wireless headphones, then you can take a look at this troubleshooting tutorial at Seeking Tech.
1. If your WH-1000XM5 is not recharging at all, then the first step you can take is to make sure that you are using the USB Type-A to USB Type-C cable that came with the headphones. This is because other cables may not be compatible when it comes to charging the internal battery.
2. You should also make sure that you try to charge the device within a range of 59 °F to 95 °F (or 15 °C to 35 °C).
If the temperature gets too cold or too hot, then the battery may end up not being able to be charged.
3. Make sure that the USB Type-C end of the cable is connected securely to the USB Type-C port of the Sony WH-1000XM5.
4. If you are connecting the other end of the USB Type-A to USB Type-C cable to a USB AC adaptor, then you need to make sure that is securely USB Type-A end is connected to the adaptor.
5. Furthermore, the USB AC adaptor must have an output current that is at least 1.5 A.
6. If you haven’t done so already, you should also make sure that the USB AC adaptor is securely plugged into the power outlet.
7. Moreover, you can try using a different power outlet to see if you can get the headphones to charge.
8. If you are connecting the other end of the USB Type-A to USB Type-C cable to a USB Type-A port of another device, then you need to make sure that the other device is actually capable of acting as a power source.
9. You should make sure that the cable is securely connected to the USB Type-A port of the other device.
10. You need to make sure that the other device is completely turned on. The Sony WH-1000XM5 may not charge if the other device is put in rest mode, sleep mode, hibernation mode or any other similar low power state modes.
11. Moreover, make sure you connect the headphones to the other device directly. If you are using a USB hub or similar USB pass-through products, then it may cause charging issues.
12. If possible, you can try plugging the cable into a different USB Type-A port.
13. You can also try updating the firmware of the other device.
14. You may want to try a completely different device as well.
15. If your Sony WH-1000XM5 is still not recharging, then you can try resetting the headphones.
16. If resetting the WH-1000XM5 does not work, then you may want to perform a factory reset.
To see how you can reset and factory reset this product, we recommend that you take a look at this article.
17. If your headphones still can’t charge, then we suggest contacting Sony for additional support.
There is a possibility that the WH-1000XM5 may be defective to the point where it needs to be repaired or replaced.