The ASUS ROG Strix Arion and ASUS ROG Strix Arion Lite external portable enclosure case adapters are compatible with the PlayStation 5 (as well as the PlayStation 5 Digital Edition).
You can check out this step-by-step tutorial at Seeking Tech to see how you can properly format the ROG Strix Arion and ROG Strix Arion Lite for the PS5.
1. The first step, if you haven’t done so already, is to install the NVMe solid state drive into your ASUS ROG Strix Arion or ASUS ROG Strix Arion Lite.
These adapters are compatible with the following form factors with a M key and B-M key:
- M.2 PCI Express 2230
- M.2 PCI Express 2242
- M.2 PCI Express 2260
- M.2 PCI Express 2280
2. If you have data already stored on the SSD you installed on your ASUS ROG Strix Arion or ASUS ROG Strix Arion Lite, then you might want to backup any important files.
This is because formatting your external drive on the PlayStation 5 will delete all of the current data that were stored on the SSD.
3. The next step is to connect your ASUS ROG Strix Arion or ASUS ROG Strix Arion Lite to the PlayStation 5.
With the PS5, as well as the PS5 Digital Edition, you can connect an external storage drive to the USB Type-C port at the front of the system or either of the two USB Type-A ports at the back.
The front USB Type-C port, as well as the two rear USB Type-A ports, are Superspeed USB, which means that you can get up to 10 Gbps in transfer speed.
While the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 5 Digital Edition also come with a front USB Type-A port, that one can’t be used for external storage due to the slower transfer speed.
The ROG Strix Arion includes USB Type-C to USB Type-A and USB Type-C to USB Type-C cables. This mean that you can use either the front USB Type-C port or the rear USB Type-A ports to connect to the PS5.
The ROG Strix Arion Lite only includes an USB Type-C to USB Type-C cable. Therefore, you can only use the front USB Type-C port of the PlayStation 5 unless you have an extra USB Type-C to USB Type-A cable laying around.
4. With your ROG Strix Arion or ROG Strix Arion Lite connected to your PlayStation 5, turn on your console.
5. In the “Welcome back to PlayStation” screen, select your user profile to get to the Home Screen.
6. In the Home Screen, select the gear cog icon located on the upper right corner (it should be in between the search icon and your use profile picture) to head into Settings.
7. In the Settings screen, select Storage from the list of available options.
8. In the Storage screen, select USB Extended Storage from the list of options on the left side.
9. On the right side of the same Storage screen, select the “Format as USB Extended Storage” option.
What games can you store on ROG Strix Arion and ROG Strix Arion Lite?
Once your ROG Strix Arion or ROG Strix Arion Lite has been formatted for use with the PlayStation 5 system, you will be able to store native PS5 games in addition to backwards compatible PS4 games.
What games can you play on ROG Strix Arion and ROG Strix Arion Lite?
You will be able to play backwards compatible PS4 games on the PlayStation 5 system directly off of the solid state drive stored in your ROG Strix Arion or ROG Strix Arion Lite.
Unfortunately, you won’t be able to play native PS5 games directly from an external drive. In order to play a PS5 game stored on the SSD of your ROG Strix Arion or ROG Strix Arion Lite, you need to move the game files from the USB Extended Storage to the console storage. You should then be able to play the PS5 game from the internal SSD of your PlayStation 5 system.
To find out how you can move your game files from the console storage of the PlayStation 5 to the ROG Strix Arion or ROG Strix Arion Lite, and vice versa, you can take a look at this tutorial.
You can also take a look at this guide to see what the differences are between the ROG Strix Arion and ROG Strix Arion Lite.