Quick resume is a new element introduced for the Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X.
This feature will allow you to quickly switch between multiple games by creating a temporary save state. As a result, there will be very little loading in between switch games as you will be able to bypass the start-up and save loading screens.
However, quick resume may cause bugs, glitches and other issues even for games that support the feature.
You can check out this tutorial at Seeking Tech to see how you can disable quick resume on the Xbox Series consoles.
Can you universally disable quick resume on Xbox Series S and X
Unfortunately, you can’t universally disable quick resume on your Xbox Series S or Xbox Series X.
Instead, you need to manually disable this feature on a game-by-game basis.
How to manually disable quick resume on Xbox Series S and X
In order to manually disable quick resume for a game, you need to take the following steps:
1. Press the Xbox button (which is the top middle button with the Xbox icon that lights up when pressed) on the Xbox controller.
Doing so will open the Guide menu.
2. In the Guide menu, select the “My games & apps” option.
3. In the “My games & apps” section, you should find a list of games that you have currently using the quick resume feature.
The Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X can store the temporary save states of up to three games that have been built specifically for the Series S and X consoles.
Backwards compatible Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One games that up less memory, which means that you can have more of these games stored via quick resume.
In “My games & apps”, you need to navigate to the game with a quick resume save state that you want to remove.
4. With the game highlighted, press the Menu button (which is the small button that has the three horizontal lines icon) on your controller to bring up a pop-up menu.
5. In the pop-up menu, you need to select the “Remove from Quick Resume” option.
6. Afterwards, you will be back at the “My games & apps” section of the Guide menu.
If you want to disable the quick resume feature for another game, then you can repeat steps 3 through 5.
What happens when you disable quick resume on Xbox Series S and X
By disabling quick resume on a videogame running on the Xbox Series S or Xbox Series X console, you will close the game and delete its temporary save state that was previously created. There’s no way to recover this save state data, which means that you will lose any unsaved progress in the game.
Furthermore, you have to go through the startup loading sequence when you open the game again.
Quick resume will automatically be enabled when you open the game as well, which means you need to manually remove this feature again to disable it.
Do quick resume take up SSD space on Xbox Series S and X?
The quick resume feature should not take up any additional space on your Xbox Series S or Xbox Series X console.
Does using quick resume affect the performance of your Xbox Series S and X console?
The quick resume feature use temporary save states. Therefore, it should not lower the performance of your Xbox Series S or Xbox Series X console.