The Samsung T5, T7 and T7 Touch Portable Solid State Drives feature a password protection security mode that you can use to locked data stored on the SSD in order to prevent others from assessing.
You can check out this tutorial at Seeking Tech to seek how you can change, remove and recover the password that you used on your T5, T7 or T7 Touch.
This guide will cover all capacities of the Samsung T5 Portable Solid State Drive, Samsung T7 Portable Solid State Drive and Samsung T7 Touch Portable Solid State Drive.
You can find the model numbers of the products we will be covering in this tutorial below:
Samsung T5 Portable Solid State Drive:
Samsung T7 Portable Solid State Drive:
Samsung T7 Touch Portable Solid State Drive:
Samsung Portable SSD Software
You can change your password for your T5, T7 or T7 Touch through the Samsung Portable SSD Software.
So, if you haven’t done so already, you can download the program for Windows PC or Mac with this link.
How to change password for Samsung T5, T7 and T7 Touch
In order to change the password for your Samsung T5 Portable SSD, Samsung T7 Portable SSD or Samsung T7 Touch Portable SSD, you need to take the following steps:
1. Connect your external storage drive to the Windows PC or Mac that have the aforementioned Samsung Portable SSD Software installed.
2. Once your computer detects your external SSD, you should see the password screen from the Samsung Portable SSD Software program.
3. Enter the password you have previously set for your solid state drive and then click the “Unlock” option located underneath.
4. With your external drive fully unlocked, select the Settings option from the main menu of the Samsung Portable SSD Software.
5. In the Settings menu, Select the Change option to the right of Password.
6. In the next screen, you need to input your current password, the new password and repeat the new password again.
For your password, you can input anywhere between 4 to 16 characters. Spaces aren’t accepted as characters.
7. Once you are done inputting the password fields, click on the Save button located on the bottom to confirm your password change.
How to remove password protection for Samsung T5, T7 and T7 Touch
If you no longer want to use password protection for your Samsung T5, Samsung T7 or Samsung T7 Touch, then you need to do the following:
1. Connect your external Samsung SSD to a Windows PC or Mac with the Samsung Portable SSD Software installed.
2. In the Samsung Portable SSD Software program, enter your password and then click the Unlock option in order to fully unlock the external drive.
3. In the main menu of the Samsung Portable SSD Software, select the Settings option.
5. In the Settings menu, you should see the Security Mode. You need to set the Security Mode setting to OFF in order to remove the password protection for your external drive.
How to recover password for Samsung T5, T7 and T7 Touch
Unfortunately, you can’t recover a password with the Samsung T5 Portable Solid State Drive, Samsung T7 Portable Solid State Drive or Samsung T7 Touch Portable Solid State Drive.
If you want to access any files you have stored on the external drive, then you will be out of luck unless you can remember the password you previously set.
If you don’t mind losing all of the data currently stored on your external Samsung drive in order to remove its password protection, then you can do a factory reset. In order to reset your SSD to its factory settings, you will need to do so through an online service by a Samsung Service Center.
If you want to know what are the major differences between the Samsung T5 Portable Solid State Drive, Samsung T7 Portable Solid State Drive and Samsung T7 Touch Portable Solid State Drive, then you can take a look at our comparison guide with this article.