Last Updated on 04/03/2023
You can use your eero 6, eero 6+, eero Pro 6 or eero Pro 6E to block any websites that you or someone else in your household don’t want to visit.
If your router isn’t blocking a site that you have previously blacklisted, then you can take a look at this troubleshooting article to see how you can fix this issue.
While this guide is based on the eero 6, eero 6+, eero Pro 6 and eero Pro 6E, it should also be applicable to the older eero routers as well.
1. The first step we recommend taking is to simply wait. While your eero may start blocking a website almost immediately, this process can also take several hours.
2. If, after waiting several hours, you can still access a blocked site, then you can try clearing the cache of the web browser or web browser app.
3. You can also try power cycling your eero network. In order to properly do so, you need to take the following steps:
- Unplug all of your eero routers from the power outlet.
- Next, you should wait for at least 30 seconds.
- You can then re-plug all the routers back into the power outlet.
- Wait for the eeros to boot back up and connect to the internet.
- Try to visit the blocked website to see if you are still able to access it.
4. If you have multiple profiles on your eero network, then you need to make sure that the blocked website is applied to the appropriate profile.
In order to find which sites have been blocked for a specific profile, you need to do the following:
- Open the eero app and then sign into your eero network.
- On the home screen, tap a profile.
- Next, you need to tap Block & Allow Sites
- You should now see a list of websites that should be blocked on the profile.
5. It is also important to note that if you have a website that is on both the Blocked and Allowed lists, then you will still have access to the website as the Allowed list will override the Blocked list.
In this case, you need to remove the website you are trying to block from the Allowed list.
6. Furthermore, you should make sure that you input domain name correctly when adding it to the Blocked list.
To block an entire domain, you need to input domain.com. Keep in mind that some sites may have multiple domains; therefore, you may need to input multiple variations.
To block a subdomain, you need to input subdomain.domain.com. This will only block the subdomain as you will still have access to the main domain. Some sites may have multiple subdomains, which mean that you may need to input all variations to completely block the subdomains.
If you try to input a certain page from a domain such as domain.com/page, then eero will read it as domain.com.
You should also make sure that you don’t put “www” before the domain name as the eero router will view it as a subdomain. As a result, you will still be able to access the blocked website if you are visiting it as domain.com.