To quickly setup your eero network, Amazon recommends using smartphone or mobile device that is connected to a cellular network. If you can’t use a mobile connection during the setup process, then you can take a look at this tutorial to see how you can work around this limitation.
Before we start, it should be noted that this article is based on the eero 6, eero 6+, eero Pro 6 and eero Pro 6E. With that said, these instructions should also apply to the older versions of the eero router.
Why you need cellular data to set up eero network
When you are setting your eero network, you will need to remove your existing Wi-Fi network. Without a mobile data connection on your smartphone or device, you won’t be able to easily register your eero router over the internet through the eero app.
How to set up the eero network without using mobile data
If your phone or mobile device can’t use a cellular network to connect to the internet, then you can still register and setup your eero router by taking the following steps:
1. To start off, you need to connect your eero 6, eero 6+, eero Pro 6 or eero Pro 6E to your old router through an Ethernet cable.
If you already remove your old router, then you should connect the old router back into your modem. Afterwards, you need to connect the old router to your eero router.
By connecting your eero 6, eero 6+, eero Pro 6 or eero Pro 6E to your existing router, you will create a double NAT connection, which should allow you to register your eero over the internet without having to use any mobile data.
2. Next, go through the setup process to register and then activate the eero networking the eero app on your smartphone or mobile device.
3. Once the eero network has been established, you can remove the old router from your home networking ecosystem.
In order to do so, you need to do the following:
- Disconnect the Ethernet cable connecting the old router to your eero 6, eero 6+, eero Pro 6 or eero Pro 6E.
- You should also disconnect the Ethernet cable connecting the old router to your modem.
- Next, you need to unplug the power adapter from your modem.
- Wait for at least 30 seconds.
- Plug the power adapter back into your modem.
- Wait until your modem is fully rebooted. This process can take several minutes.
- Connect your eero 6, eero 6+, eero Pro 6 or eero Pro 6E directly to the modem by using an Ethernet cable.
- If you are using a standalone modem, then you don’t need to do anything else.
- If you have modem/router hybrid device, then you need to put it in bridge mode in order to get the best internet connection speeds when using your eero network. In order to do so, you need to look at the user manual for your modem/router hybrid to see how you can enable the bridge feature.
If you think that your eero 6, eero 6+, eero Pro 6 or eero Pro 6E is overheating, then you can take a look at this troubleshooting article.