In 2020, Samsung released the TU8000. So is the Crystal UHD 4K Smart TV series good for the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X and other gaming consoles?
You can find out with this buyer’s guide.
With the lack of HDMI 2.1 ports, along with underwhelming HDR, the Samsung TU8000 is not the most suitable TV for the PS5 and Xbox One X.
The low latency of this TV (with game mode activated) makes it great for older systems that use HDMI.
With that said, the HDR is not that great if you want to get the best out of the PS4, PS4 Pro, Xbox One S and/or Xbox One X.
If you are interested, you can purchase the Samsung TU8000 Crystal UHD 4K Smart TV on Amazon.
Note: If you decide to buy the TU8000, then you might want to take a look at our wall mount guide for the all sizes in the series.
The Samsung TU8000 comes in multiple sizes: 43″ (UN43TU8000FXZA), 50″ (UN50TU8000FXZA), 55″(UN55TU8000FXZA), 65″ (UN65TU8000FXZA), 75″ (UN75TU8000FXZA) and 85″ (UN85TU8000FXZA).
Does the Samsung TU8000 have HDMI 2.1 ports?
The TU8000 has three HDMI ports.
Unfortunately, none are HDMI 2.1, which is recommend if you want to get the most out of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox One Series X.
Instead, all three ports are HDMI 2.0.
Samsung TU8000’s HDR Capabilities
According to the tests conducted by RTINGS, the HDR features of the Samsung TU8000 is somewhat underwhelming with a HDR Real Scene Peak Brightness of 271 cd/m² and HDR Sustained 100% Window of 291 cd/m².
Although the television set supports HDR10 and HDR10+, it doesn’t support Dolby Vision and Wide Color Gamut.
You can find RTINGS stats below:
- HDR Real Scene Peak Brightness: 271 cd/m²
- HDR Peak 2% Window: 161 cd/m²
- HDR Peak 10% Window: 292 cd/m²
- HDR Peak 25% Window: 291 cd/m²
- HDR Peak 50% Window: 291 cd/m²
- HDR Peak 100% Window: 291 cd/m²
- HDR Sustained 2% Window: 158 cd/m²
- HDR Sustained 10% Window: 291 cd/m²
- HDR Sustained 25% Window: 291 cd/m²
- HDR Sustained 50% Window: 291 cd/m²
- HDR Sustained 100% Window: 291 cd/m²
- HDR ABL: 0.042
Samsung TU8000’s Input Lag
Based on the RTINGS, the TU8000 Crystal UHD 4K Smart TV has excellent when it comes to input lag.
With the game mode enabled, tests show that there is a 9.7 ms lag when running at 1080p resolution/60 Hz refresh rate, 9.5 ms lag when running 4K resolution/60 Hz refresh rate and 9.7 ms lag when running at 4K Resolution/60 Hz refresh/10-bit HDR.
PC gamers should also be happy to learn that the lag is only 9.6 ms in 4K Resolution/60 Hz refresh rate/4:4:4.
You can find RTING’s input lag test results below:
- 1080p resolution and 60 Hz refresh rate (Game Mode Enabled): 9.7 ms
- 1080p resolution and 60 Hz refresh rate (Game Mode Disabled): 87.2 ms
- 1440p resolution and 60 Hz refresh rate (Game Mode Enabled): 9.9 ms
- 4K resolution and 60 Hz refresh rate (Game Mode Enabled): 9.5 ms
- 4K resolution and 60 Hz refresh rate + 10 bit HDR (Game Mode Enabled): 9.7 ms
- 4K resolution and 60 Hz refresh rate (Game Mode Disabled): 85.3 ms
- 4K resolution and 60 Hz refresh rate With Interpolation (Game Mode Enabled): 25.3 ms
- 4K resolution and 60 Hz at 4:4:4: 9.6 ms
Is the TU8000 good for PS5 and Xbox Series X?
Based on the aforementioned information, the TU8000 is not a good television set for the PS5 and Xbox Series X as it lacks support for HDMI 2.1.
Although the input lag is excellent, the TV is also hindered by lacking HDR performances and features.
Is the TU8000 good for Switch, PS4, PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Xbox One S and Xbox One X?
If don’t care about HDR, then the TU8000 is great for the Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 4 Pro, Xbox One, Xbox One S and Xbox One X due to the minimal input lag with the game mode enabled.
If you want to take full advantage of the HDR features in supported older consoles (which are the PS4, PS4 Pro, Xbox One S and Xbox One X), then you are better off getting another television set.
Legacy Consoles Support
The Samsung TU8000 Crystal UHD 4K Smart TV comes with one composite input, so you will be able to directly plug in the PSOne, Nintendo 64, Xbox One and more.
The TV also includes one cable/antenna tuner. Thus, you will be able to directly plug in your NES, Super NES, Sega Genesis and more.
You can find the current prices for all aforementioned sizes of the TU8000 on Amazon with the following link: