With the 2021 Apple TV, you will be able to connect to PlayStation and Xbox wireless controller. You can follow this guide at Seeking Tech to see how you can connect these gamepads to your media player.
Supported 2021 Apple TV Models
This guide will cover the following models of the Apple TV:
- 2021 32GB Apple TV HD (MHY93LL/A)
- 2021 32GB Apple TV 4K (MXGY2LL/A)
- 2021 64GB Apple TV 4K (MXH02LL/A)
To find out more about these Apple TVs, you can check out this comparison guide.
How to pair DualShock 4 to 2021 Apple TV
In order to pair the DualShock 4, which is the official controller of the PlayStation 4, to a 2021 Apple TV, you need to do the following:
1. Turn on your 2021 Apple TV.
2. Press the PS and Share button at the same time until the light bar of the controller begins to flash.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions on the Apple TV to pair the DualShock 4 to media device.
How to pair DualSense to 2021 Apple TV
To pair the DualSense, which is the official controller of the PlayStation 5, you need to do the following:
1. Make sure that your 2021 Aple TV is turned on.
2. Press and hold the PS and Create button at the same time until the light indicator of the DualSense beings to flash.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions on your Apple TV to pair the DualSense.
How to pair Xbox controllers to 2021 Apple TV
You will be able to pair the following Xbox controllers to your 2021 Apple TV:
- Xbox Wireless Controller with Bluetooth (Model Number: 1708) for Xbox One, Xbox One S and Xbox One X
- Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2
- Xbox Adaptive Controller
- Xbox Wireless Controller for Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X
To pair any of these Xbox controllers, you need to take the following steps:
1. Turn the Apple TV on if you haven’t done so already.
2. Press the Xbox button on the controller to turn the gamepad on.
3. With the Xbox controller turned on, press and hold the Pairing button on the gamepad for a few seconds.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions on your 2021 Apple TV to pair your Xbox controller.
How to fix PS and Xbox controller pairing issues with 2021 Apple TV
If you are experiencing issues with connecting, pairing or using a PlayStation and/or Xbox controller on your 2021 Apple TV, then you can find some possible fixes below:
1. First off, we recommend checking to see if your controller still have any battery life.
2. You should also check to see if your gamepad and 2021 Apple TV have been updated to the latest firmware.
3. Next, you can try moving your controller closer to your Apple TV.
4. You should also make sure that there aren’t any physical obstructions that may be interfering with the Bluetooth signals.
The list of objects that may weakened the signal that connects your gamepad to your media player include bricks, bulletproof glass, concrete, glass, marble, metal, plaster, water, wood as well as synthetic materials.
5. You should also avoid using your Apple TV nearby any of the following objects: cordless phones, fluorescent lights, microwave ovens, Wi-Fi router and wireless video cameras.
6. Turn off other Bluetooth or Wi-Fi devices that you aren’t using.
Both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi utilize the 2.4 GHz band. If your Wi-Fi router supports 5.0 GHz band as well, you can try moving some of your Wi-Fi connected devices from the 2.4 GHz band to the 5.0 GHz band so that you can get a better Bluetooth connection.
How to unpair PS and Xbox controllers on 2021 Apple TV
If you are still experiencing problems with connecting and/or using your PlayStation and/or Xbox controllers with your 2021 Apple TV, you can try unpairing the controller and then pairing it back again.
In order to unpair the controller, you need to do the following:
1. On your 2021 Apple TV, go to Settings.
2. Next, you should select Remotes and Devices.
3. Afterwards, select Bluetooth.
4. Select the controller you want to unpair from your 2021 Apple TV.
5. Select Unpair Device.
To pair your controller to your Apple TV again, you can follow the aforementioned instructions earlier in this guide.