You can now use the Variable Refresh Rate feature of your TCL 5 S546 or TCL 6 R646 with the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 5 Digital Edition system.
To see how you can utilize VRR with these television sets, you can take a look at this article from Seeking Tech.
Before we begin, it is important to note that this guide will cover the following TVs:
- 50″ TCL 5 Series S546 (50S546)
- 55″ TCL 5 Series S546 (55S546)
- 65″ TCL 5 Series S546 (65S546)
- 75″ TCL 5 Series S546 (75S546)
- 55″ TCL 6 Series R646 (55R646)
- 65″ TCL 6 Series R646 (65R646)
- 75″ TCL 6 Series R646 (75R646)
1. If you haven’t done so already, we recommend updating the firmware of your TCL 5 S546 or TCL 6 R646. By doing so, you may improve Variable Refresh Rate as well as other gaming features of your television set.
2. You should also keep your PlayStation 5 or PlayStation 5 Digital Edition up-to-date with the latest firmware.
3. Once you are ready, make sure you use a HDMI 2.1 cable to connect your PS5 console to a HDMI 2.1 port of your TCL 5 S546 or TCL 6 R646.
For the uninformed, your PlayStation 5 console should come with a HDMI 2.1 cable if you don’t know which HDMI cable to use.
4. Turn on both your TCL television set as well as your PlayStation 5 system.
5. Next, you need to press the button that has the gear cog icon on your TV remote in order to open the Settings menu of your TCL 5 S546 or TCL 6 R646.
6. From the Settings menu of your television set, you need to select Channels & Inputs.
7. Inside the Channels & Inputs, you then need to select Inputs.
8. In the Inputs menu, scroll down and make sure that the Variable Refresh Rate setting is turned on.
9. On your PlayStation 5 console, you should be in the home screen, which is the menu where you can select which game or media app to open.
10. Head to Settings from the home screen, which you can do by selecting the gear cog icon.
11. After getting to Settings, you then need to head to Screen and Video.
12. From the Screen and Video menu, you first need to select Video Output.
13. On the right side of the same Screen and Video menu, you then need to select VRR.
14. Set VRR to Automatic.
You may also want to enable the Apply to Unsupported Games setting as doing so will force Variable Refresh Rate for games that don’t natively use this feature. However, this setting may cause issues in unsupported games.
15. If your PS5 or PS5 Digital Edition still can’t detect the VRR feature from your TCL 5 S546 or TCL 6 R646, then you can try power cycling both you game console and your television set.
In order to do so, then you need to take the following steps:
- Turn off your PS5 and TCL TV
- Unplug both devices from the power outlet
- Wait for at least 20 minutes
- Plug the PS5 and TCL TV back into the power outlet
- Turn both devices on and then see if you can activate VRR.