The Charge 5 is the latest portable Bluetooth speaker from JBL. You can follow this guide at Seeking Tech to find out how to pair it, upgrade its firmware, recharge it and use it as a power bank.
How to pair the JBL Charge 5 with another device
To pair the Charge 5 with another device, you need to take the following steps:
1. First, make sure the device you are trying to pair with the speaker uses a Bluetooth wireless connection. In this tutorial we will be using an Android smartphone.
2. You need to also make sure that the Bluetooth connection has been turned on for the device.
3. On the device, you need to navigate to the menu where you can pair with a new electronic. You can do so on an Android phone by going to Settings > Connected devices > Bluetooth > Pair new device.
4. Now that you have the prerequisites in place, press the Bluetooth button on the JBL Charge 5. You should then see the speaker in the menu of the device you are trying to pair with.
5. Activate the speaker from the device’s menu to pair the speaker to the device.
How to pair the JBL Charge 5 with another speaker
To pair a Charge 5 with another speaker, you must do the following:
1. You first need to make sure that the speaker you are trying to pair with support the JBL PartyBoost feature. Currently, the following speakers are compatible:
- JBL Boombox 2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- JBL Charge 5 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- JBL Flip 5 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- JBL Flip 5 Portable Bluetooth Speaker Eco Edition
- JBL Pulse 4 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- JBL Xtreme 3 Portable Waterproof Speaker
2. To pair your JBL Charge 5 to any of the aforementioned speakers, press the pair button on the Charge 5 first. If you are having a hard time finding the button, it looks like the infinity symbol (∞).
3. After pressing the pair button on the Charge 5, you need to quickly press the pair button on the other speaker you are trying to make a connection with.
How to upgrade the firmware for the JBL Charge 5
To upgrade the firmware for the JBL Charge 5, you need to do the following:
1. First, off you need a smartphone that has been paired with the speaker. If you haven’t paired the Charge 5 with your phone, you can follow the very first tutorial of this guide.
2. With the portable speaker paired to your phone, you need to download the JBL Portable App on the Google Play Store (if you are using an Android phone) or Apple App Store (if you are using an iPhone).
3. Open the JBL Portable App and your Charge 5 should appear.
4. You can upgrade to the latest firmware available in the settings menu of the Charge 5. You can find settings by selecting the gear cog symbol on the speaker’s page in the app. If there is a new software update available, you will see a red dot appear on top of the gear cog symbol.
How to recharge the JBL Charge 5
To recharge the JBL Charge 5, you need to do the following:
1. Use the USB Type-C to USB Type-A cable that comes with the Charge 5.
2. Plug the USB Type-C end of the cable (it is the smaller one) to the back of the USB-C port of the speaker.
3. Plug the USB Type-A end of the cable into a power source.
It is important to note that the Charge 5 does not support a power outlet right out of the box. So, you will need to use a USB-A power adapter.
How to use the JBL Charge 5 as a power bank
To use the JBL Charge 5 as a power bank to recharge other devices, you need to follow these instructions:
1. Make sure to use an USB Type-C to USB Type-A cable. You can use the one that comes with the Charge 5.
2. Open the compartment on the back of the speaker.
3. Plug the USB Type-A end of the cable into USB-A port of the newly opened compartment on the speaker.
4. Plug the USB Type-C end of the cable to the device you what to recharge.
To see how the Charge 5 compare to the Charge 4, you can check out this guide.