The assistant voice typing and auto punctuation are helpful features if you want to use voice typing on your Google Pixel 6a. If these are options greyed out and can’t be selected, then you can take a look troubleshooting guide at Seeking Tech to see how you can fix this issue.
1. To start off, we recommend that you update the software for all of the installed apps on your Pixel 6a. To do so, you can try taking the following steps:
- Go to the Google Play Store App.
- In the Google Play Store, tap you profile image located on the top right side of the screen.
- From the Google menu, you then need to select Settings.
- After getting to Settings, select Network Preferences.
- You then need to select Auto-Update Apps in the drop-down menu.
- Finally, make sure that you select “Over any network” or “Over Wi-Fi only” in the Auto-Update Apps.
The applications on your Pixel 6a should now automatically be updated when the device is connected to the internet.
2. if the assistant voice typing and auto punctuation settings are still greyed out after you upgraded all of the applications, then the next step you can try is to clear the cache of the Google App by doing the following:
- Open the Settings App on your Google Pixel 6a.
- With the Settings menu of your phone opened, you need to select Apps.
- In the Apps menu, you then need to select the See All Apps option.
- From the All Apps menu, you then need to go to Google.
- After getting to the App Info menu of Google, you need to select Storage & Cache.
- Inside the Storage menu of the Google App, select Clear Cache.
3. You can also try downloading a new firmware for your Pixel 6a.
4. Furthermore, restarting your phone may help clear up any potential bugs that may have made the assistant voice typing and auto punctuation features greyed not.
5. You should also make sure that your Android, Gboard and Google Assistant settings are set to the same language.
For Android, you need to go to Settings > Languages & Input > Languages.
For Gboard, you need to head to Settings > Languages & Input > On-Screen Keyboard > Gboard > Languages.
For Google Assistant, you need to go to Settings > Google > Settings for Google Apps > Search, Assistant & Voice > Google Assistant > Languages.
6. You should also make sure that you have the Text Correction feature enabled by taking the following steps:
- Head to the Settings App of your Pixel 6a.
- In the Settings screen, you need to head over to System.
- From the System menu, you then need to go to Languages & Input.
- After arriving at the Languages & Input menu, you then need to select On-Screen Keyboard.
- Inside the On-Screen Keyboard menu, you then need to go to Gboard.
- In the Settings menu of the Gboard, head over to Text Correction.
- In the Text Correction menu, make sure that the “Show Suggestion Strip” setting is enabled.
If the microphone of your Pixel 6a is not working, then you can check out this guide.