The Samsung Galaxy SmartTag and SmartTag+ are tracking devices that will help you find lost items. You can follow this guide to find how you can replace its battery, unpair it from your smartphone and perform a factory reset.
How to recharge SmartTag and SmartTag+ battery
The SmartTag and SmartTag+ uses a CR2032 battery that can’t be recharged. Instead, you need to replace the battery.
If you looking for replacements, then we recommend picking up the Energizer CR2032 Batteries on Amazon with this link.
How to check the battery life for SmartTag and SmartTag+
To check for battery life status for your SmartTag or SmartTag+, you need to do the following:
1. Open the SmartThings app on the same smartphone that you use to paired with the SmartTag tracker.
2. Inside the SmartThings app, tap the symbol with the three horizontal lines to open the Menu.
3. Tap All devices from the Menu.
4. Select the SmartTag device from the list.
5. The SmartTag Battery status can be found at the bottom.
How to replace the SmartTag and SmartTag+ battery
In order to replace the battery of the SmartTag and SmartTag+, you need to take the following steps.
1. Wedge open the notch located at the bottom of the device using your fingernail, card or other similarly shaped objects to open the back battery cover of the tracker.
2. Remove the old battery from the compartment.
3. Place in a new CR2032 battery in the compartment. Make sure that the + (positive) side of the battery is face up.
4. Snap the battery cover back into place.
How to unpair the SmartTag and SmartTag+
The SmartTag and SmartTag+ can only be paired to one smartphone at a time. So, if you want to use the tracker with another phone, you need to unpair it first on the original phone.
If you are interested in doing so, you need to do the following:
1. Open the SmartThings app on the phone that is currently paired with the SmartTag device.
2. Tap the symbol with three horizontal lines, which represents the Menu.
3. Tap All devices.
4. Tap More options.
5. Tap Delete.
6. Tap the red – (minus) sign located next to the SmartTag device.
7. Tap Delete.
You can now pair the SmartTag or SmartTag+ with another smartphone. If you want to, you can also pair it again on the original phone.
How to factory reset the SmartTag and SmartTag+
If you are experiencing issues with using the SmartTag and SmartTag+ not working normally, then you should try a factory reset.
If you are interested in doing so, you need to take the following steps:
1. Open the back battery cover of the tracker.
2. Remove the battery from the battery compartment.
3. Press and hold the center button on the front side of the SmartTag.
4. With the center button on the front held down, reinsert the same battery you removed earlier into the battery compartment. Make sure that the + (positive) side of the battery is face up.
5. You shouldn’t hear the SmartTag or SmartTag+ making a sound. If you do hear something, repeat steps 2 through 4 until you hear nothing.
6. Keep holding the center button on the front side for at least another 5 seconds after re-inserting the battery.
7. After the right amount of time has passed, you can let go of the front button.
8. Put the back battery cover back on of the SmartTag.
Your SmartTag or SmartTag+ should be reset to its original factory settings.
If you want to know what the differences are between the normal and plus versions of the Smart Tag, then you can check out this guide.