The QNED90 is LG’s first ever Mini LED television. You can check out this buyer’s guide at Seeking Tech to see if this 2021 TV is any good when it comes to playing videogames on the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S and other consoles.
The LG QNED90 is one of the best gaming televisions of 2021, especially for the PS5, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S. In addition to having two HDMI 2.1 ports, this TV also supports Dolby Vision, HDR10 and Variable Refresh Rate. It can also produce great HDR brightness in addition to featuring low input lag.
If you are interested, you can purchase the Mini LED on Amazon with the following link:
You can also check out our wall mounts buyer’s guide for the QNED90 with this article.
QNED90 Screen Sizes
The QNED90 is only available in three big screen sizes. You can check out the available sizes, as well as the associated model numbers, below:
- 65″ (65QNED90UPA)
- 75″ (75QNED90UPA)
- 86″ (86QNED90UPA)
Does the QNED90 have any HDMI 2.1 ports?
The LG QNED MiniLED 90 Series comes with two HDMI 2.1 ports in addition to two HDMI 2.0 ports.
Both the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X support HDMI 2.1 right out of the box. With the PS5, this will allow you to play games at 120 frames per second in 1080p and 4K with the QNED90. With the Series X, you can play games at up to 120 frames in 1080p, 1440p and 4K on this TV.
While the Xbox Series S also supports HDMI 2.1, it only comes with a HDMI 2.0 cable. So, you will need to get a HDMI 2.1 cable in order to play videogames at 120 fps in 4K. You can still play videogames at 120 frames per second in 1080p and 1440p over the HDMI 2.0 connection.
Legacy Consoles Support
When it comes to older systems that don’t use the HDMI input, the QNED90 has an antenna/cable input that you can use to directly connect retro consoles such as the Nintendo Entertainment System, Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis and Sega Master System.
This Mini LED TV does not support component or composite inputs. Therefore, you will need to get an adapter in order to connect consoles like the PS1, PS2, N64, GameCube, Nintendo Wii, Sega Saturn, Dreamcast and Xbox.
QNED90 HDR Features
The QNED90 supports the following HDR features:
- Dolby Vision
- Wide Color Gamut
Dolby Vision is a format that is only supported by the Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X on the console side.
The HDR10 format is more commonly used as it is supported by the PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Series S and Series X.
QNED90’s HDR Brightness in Game Optimizer Mode
This LG Mini LED television is great at displaying HDR brightness.
According to tests done by RTINGS.com, the QNED90 can output 853 nits when you are using the TV’s Game Optimizer Mode. It also easily passes our recommended 500 nits minimum in all other scenes that were tested.
You can check out the HDR brightness level test results below (via RTINGS):
- HDR Real Scene Highlight: 853 nits
- HDR Peak 2% Window: 772 nits
- HDR Peak 10% Window: 991 nits
- HDR Peak 25% Window: 1,028 nits
- HDR Peak 50% Window: 806 nits
- HDR Peak 100% Window: 675 nits
- HDR Sustained 2% Window: 769 nits
- HDR Sustained 10% Window: 985 nits
- HDR Sustained 25% Window: 1,022 nits
- HDR Sustained 50% Window: 803 nits
- HDR Sustained 100% Window: 674 nits
- HDR ABL: 0.023
Adaptive Sync Support
The LG QNED90 support all three adaptive sync modes, which are designed to help smooth out the frame rate and eliminate screen tearing in games that run at unstable frames.
Modern AMD graphics cards use the FreeSync mode while modern NVIDIA graphics cards use the GSYNC mode.
The Xbox Series S, Xbox Series X and, eventually, PlayStation 5 use the Variable Refresh Rate mode.
QNED90’s Input Lag in Game Optimizer Mode
If you want a responsive gaming experience, then a television set should have less than 30 milliseconds of latency.
Fortunately, the QNED90 gets way below that upper limit with the Game Optimizer mode enabled, especially if you are playing at 120 frames per second or with variable refresh rate.
You can check out the input lag test results below (via RTINGS):
- 1080p resolution and 60 Hz refresh rate (Game Mode Enabled): 13.7 ms
- 1080p resolution and 120 Hz refresh rate (Game Mode Enabled): 5.5 ms
- 1080p resolution with Variable Refresh Rate: 5.5 ms
- 1440p resolution and 60 Hz refresh rate (Game Mode Enabled): 13.7 ms
- 1440p resolution and 120 Hz refresh rate (Game Mode Enabled): 5.5 ms
- 1440p resolution with Variable Refresh Rate: 5.3 ms
- 4K resolution and 60 Hz refresh rate (Game Mode Enabled): 13.6 ms
- 4K resolution and 60 Hz refresh rate + 10-bit HDR (Game Mode Enabled): 13.5 ms
- 4K resolution and 120 Hz refresh rate (Game Mode Enabled): 5.4 ms
- 4K resolution with Variable Refresh Rate: 5.4 ms
- 4K resolution and 60 Hz at 4:4:4: 13.6 ms
- 1080p resolution and 60 Hz refresh rate (Game Mode Disabled): 126.0 ms
- 4K resolution and 60 Hz refresh rate (Game Mode Disabled): 125.8 ms
- 4K resolution and 60 Hz refresh rate With Interpolation: 135.1 ms
Is the QNED90 good for PS5, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S?
The LG QNED MiniLED 90 Series is a great television set for the new PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S consoles. In addition to coming with two HDMI 2.1 ports, the TV also supports Dolby Vision, HDR10 and Variable Refresh Rate.
Now to mention that it also offers high HDR brightness output in addition to low input lag.
Is the QNED90 good for Switch, PS4, PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Xbox One S and Xbox One X?
Thanks to the aforementioned low input lag, the QNED90 is also an excellent television set for older HDMI consoles such as the PS3, PS4, Wii U, Switch, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.
Due to the high HDR brightness output, this TV is great at displaying HDR games running on the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 4 Pro, Xbox One S and Xbox One X.
You can check out the current price tag for this Mini LED television set below: